Department of Zoology
Zoology is one of the branch of life science, which deals with the study of animals. The Zoology department since an establishment of Vinayakrao Patil Mahavidyalaya, Vaijapur in 1968, has been serving the science faculty and contributing its efforts in carving an academic face of the college. The prime object of Zoology Department is to provide knowledge of animals to the students and also trying to achieve the goal of propagating the knowledge of animals to the population living in villages for their bright future. The department was established in June 1968 with the beginning of college as one of the Science subject. It was housed in two halls in old college building and when new building was constructed in 1984, this department was shifted. The credit to become the first Principal goes to Dr. G. B. Shinde who being the student of Zoology, act as first Principal and adorned the chair, Head, Department of Zoology Dr. G. B. Shinde, is the one of the Eminent Scientist of cestodology in the world.
Since beginning of the college, Dr. G. B. Shinde was Principal and head of the Department. At present Dr. C. V. Sirsat ( From 15/11/1995 to till today) and Dr. B. N. Jadhav (from 16/06/2017 to till today) and Mr. Kailash Temkar (from 01/08/2020) are serving in the department.
The department has one well-equipped laboratory for routine practical activities. The development of the department is non-stop running with the development of the college. The department has autonomy up to some extent in deciding Optional Papers, Teaching Methods, Selection of Reference Books, Periodicals, etc. The teachers had freedom to conduct various academic activities.
Scope and importance of the subject:
Zoology is a challenge to an enquiring mind. As per the motives of the subject, the study of Zoology is necessary for pre professional work in Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Veterinary Science, Dietetics, Agriculture, Fishery, Poultry, Sericulture, Apiculture, Conservation of Wildlife, Sanitary Engineering and many other fields. Genetics one of the branches of Zoology, has been a factor in producing better Domestic Animals. This is the web of life in which all plant and animal life fits into a pattern of Environmental Relationships.
Scope: The scope of Zoology subject in various fields i.e. Research, Paramedical, Competitive exams, Government administration, Education and Self employment.
- Research – Taxonomy, Virology, Biophysics, Animal, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics etc.
- Paramedical – Nutrition, Pathology, Forensic Science, Tissue culture.
- Competitive exams – JRF, SRF, UPSC, MPSC, MBA, Banking.
- Government Administration – Navel, Department of forestry, Marine science, Fishery Science, Zoological survey of India, Ministry of Science.
- Education – Teacher, Professor, Administration, Research.
- Self Employment – Fisheries, Sericulture, Apiculture, Worm culture, pearl culture Aquaculture, poultry farming.
Excellence & Ever Excellence……
Working together with dedication and sincerity to achieve greater academic heights to bring fame and name to the institution and to the individual facilities.
- The Department has organized one national level conference on .
- The department has organized four regional level workshops for senior college teachers in the subject of Zoology.
- Two Minor Research Project have been completed.
- Two ongoing Faculty Minor Research Project under UGC Scheme STRIDE – I.
- Three Student Research Project have been completed under UGC Scheme STRIDE – I..
To make short-term certificate courses for attracting more students to B.Sc. (Zoology) programme.
- To Develop research lab for academic research
- To start skill development course
- To start PG in Zoology
- To start well equipped Zoological Museum
- To start well equipped Microbiology and Protozoology lab
- To start orninthological research lab and bird watching centre in this region